Monday, November 14, 2011

Ordained

I'm writing a story on wedding ceremony officiants for the upcoming Valley Vows supplement to the Methow Valley News. As part of my research, I decided to see what it takes to become an ordained minister.

It takes an internet connection, an email address, and the ability to fill out a form and submit it online.

Here's my certificate:

I think I'll order a paper copy for $6.99.

To officiate a wedding ceremony, I'll have to register with the county clerk, and maybe need to get a "letter of good standing" for $18 from the Universal Life Church.

They also offer the "Ordination Credential Package" for $49.99 in which you get the certificate, letter, wallet ID card, and a bunch of blank wedding certificates and other stuff.

As of right now, I can officiate marriages, baptisms, funerals/burials AND absolve sins. Cool.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe on our 50th, we'll retake our vows and you can officiate! We had a judge marry us at my parents home, but it'd be way cooler to have a friend do it the second time. :-) Do you get a title with this, Laurelle? Reverend, Minister...? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Your Holiness" has a certain ring to it . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess we know who to go to when the time comes. How long is that certificate good for, 20 years, 30 years? You know, it may be a while...

    Bye the way, as an ordained minister, can you perform your own wedding? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete